– Sebastian Buhler crowned the 2020 FIM Bajas World Cup Winner
Hero MotoSports Team Rally, the motorsport team of Hero MotoCorp, the world’s largest manufacturer of motorcycles and scooters, has won the BAJA Portalegre Rally in Spain.
Sebastian Buhler brought home the victory for the Team and in the process also won the 2020 FIM Cross-Country BAJAs World Cup.
Continuing his outstanding performance this season, Buhler won both the BAJA events this season – the BAJA Do Pinhal and BAJA Portalegre.
The Team had more reason to celebrate today as Joaquim Rodrigues also delivered a podium finish, his first of the season, with a 2nd place finish at the Rally.
Making a comeback into the competitive racing recently, Hero MotoSports Team Rally could not have asked for a better preparation leading into the Dakar 2021.
The Super Special 3 today was shortened significantly to 79 kms in the view of heavy rains rendering many parts of the original 330 kms stage unsafe for competition.
This year the Road to Dakar for the team has been very short yet productive with a lot of positives. Riding into the Dakar 2021 the Team carries a lot of momentum with the fantastic performance of their newest Hero Sebastian Buhler, the inspiring comeback of Joaquim Rodrigues, the ever-improving performances of C S Santosh and the flawless performance of their 2021 Dakar bike.
Now all eyes and focus will shift to Saudi Arabia where the Dakar 2021 is slated to be conducted from 3rd – 15th January, 2021.
Wolfgang Fischer, Team Manager, Hero MotoSports Team Rally: « We are all happy to be racing again and the last couple of months have been full of learning for us. The FIM World Cup victory is a great reward for all the hard work the team has put in and we dedicate this to our friend and Hero Paulo. Now we have only a few busy weeks left to ship all the material for the Dakar and then we all will move to the Saudi Arabia, for what we are hoping will be a safe Dakar Rally for everyone. Our thanks go out to all the colleagues and fans for their continuous support. »
Joaquim Rodrigues, Rider, Hero MotoSports Team Rally: « It was great fun to race in all the water and mud. We are very happy to get a good result for the team and also with how the bike performed. It was a good race for testing everything and providing motivation to the entire team. We didn’t have much time for preparations this year but in the short time we had we have improved a great deal and all of us are happy with the way we have shaped up for the Dakar. »
Sebastian Buhler, Rider, Hero MotoSports Team Rally: « It rained a lot yesterday so they had to cut the stage short today. Today’s track was sandy and even with the rains and holes, it was quite nice to ride. The bike we have been testing here has performed very well. Even with these wet conditions it was very easy to ride. Thanks to my team for putting in all the hard work. Overall I think it was a very good race and I am very happy to have won it for Hero MotoSports. »
SS 3 Rankings
1. Sebastian Buhler, Hero MotoSports Team Rally, 57m 50s
2. Joaquim Rodrigues, Hero MotoSports Team Rally, +21s
3. Martim Ventura, Team Blue Motor Yamaha, +2m 58s
4. Bernardo Megre, Husqvarna Fe 450, +2m 59s
5. Bruno Santos, Team Can-Am Off Road, +3m 00s
Overall Rankings after Stage 2
1. Sebastian Buhler, Hero MotoSports Team Rally, 1h 55m 16s
2. Joaquim Rodrigues, Hero MotoSports Team Rally, +1m 14s
3. Bruno Santos, Team Can-Am Off Road, +5m 16s
4. Salvador Vargas, JB Racing, +8m 47s
5. David Megre, Vitoria Fc, +9m 27s
Rider standings for 2020 FIM Cross-Country BAJAs World Cup
1. Sebastian Buhler, Hero MotoSports Team Rally, 50 Points
2. Micael Simao, KTM Exc F 450, 29 Points
3. Maciek Giemza, Husqvarna Fe 450, 29 Points
4. Tomas De Gavardo, KTM Exc F, 22 Points
5. Joaquim Rodrigues, Hero MotoSports Team Rally, 20 Points