– Kuba Przygonski wins his home Baja
– Krzysztof Holowczyc comes second
Kuba Przygonski (POL) and Tom Colsoul (BEL) continued their streak of success in the MINI John Cooper Works Rally. At the Baja Poland, the ninth and third last event in the FIA World Cup for Cross Country Rallyes, the duo secured their next victory, with fellow MINI JCW Rally crew Krzysztof Holowczyc and Lukasz Kurzeja (both POL) securing second place.
With 288 points, the Pole holds the World Cup lead, followed by Vladimir Vasilyev (217). As a maximum of 90 points can be scored in the final three events, Przygonski and Vasilyev are the only drivers who still may hope for winning the title.
All the seven special stages were won by the two MINI JCW Rally aces, Przygonski and Holowczyc. In four special stages, Przygonski crossed the finish line as the winner and the other three were won by Holowczyc.
« I’m so happy, said Przygonski. “The Baja Poland was extremely important for me. We gave our very best and it paid off. The MINI ran flawlessly and we could push right from the start. We had just one tyre puncture but apart from that, it was a trouble-free Baja for us. We could not take a safety-first approach as we knew that the battle would be close. And with this success, we also extended our World Cup lead. »
The next FIA Cross Country Rally World Cup round will be the ‘Rallye du Maroc’ (03rd to 09th October 2018).
Baja Poland Overall result
1. J. Przygonski (POL) / T. Colsoul (BEL) MINI JCW Rally – 5h 27m 45s
2. K. Holowczyc (POL) / L. Kurzeja (POL) MINI JCW Rally – 5h 31m 19s
3. V. Vasilyev (RUS) / K. Zhiltsov (RUS) Toyota – 5h 44m 41s
4. M. Prokop (CZE) / J. Tománek (CZE) Ford – 5h 48m 41s
5. M. Zapletal (CZE) / B. Momot (POL) Ford – 5h 50m 31s